Friends of Woodthorpe Grange Park 2018
1922 -2022 Woodthorpe Grange Park Centenary
Woodthorpe Grange’s Last Tenant Farmer
As reported in the Nottingham Evening News for the 2nd February 1939 Mr. Thomas Charlesworth, Woodthorpe Grange’s last tenant farmer finally gave up his farm. With farm buildings believed to be 200 years old a decision was made by the Nottingham Corporation to further develop the park and turn part of it into a children’s play area.
Apart from having farmed on the site for 15 years, for 36 years Mr. Charlesworth was employed at the Nottingham Gas Department, and of those 15 years as a tenant farmer, for ten years he was assisted by his 88-year-old father-in-law, Mr. Jasper Kinsey.
In the same report Mr. Charlesworth went on to reminisce, when fifty years ago the farm, then under the ownership of Mr. Fred Shacklock, extended for 65 acres, and Woodthorpe Grange being built, according to the report, by Henry Ashwell. He then went on to say, once the ownership of the farm had been passed on to the Nottingham Corporation his job as a tenant farmer was greatly reduced to cutting the hay and grazing the farms livestock which, as he concluded, has been further reduced to keeping a few pigs and hens.
For more information about the history of Woodthorpe Park click on the following link: Woodthorpe Park Centenary